Sides are usually my favorite part of a meal. But dreaming them up for dinner night after night can be so BORING. Like, “Imma give myself a lobotomy with a spoon” boring.
You know what I mean. You can only have salad, taters or green beans so many times before people rebel.
This Creamed Spinach Gratin is a great solution. It’s very similar to other creamed spinach recipes in that you combine the spinach with cream, milk, butter, onion and a little dash of nutmeg
How To Make ‘Mad Men’ Week: Creamed Spinach Gratin
Makes 8 servings
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Transfer your thawed spinach to a large baking dish or bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk, and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach, and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish, and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
Food recipes from http://www.ezrapoundcake.com